Sunday, July 5, 2009

What the eyes can't see 14

For the next few days I want to fast track through some of my life experiences. As you read in my last entry, I gave my life to the Lord a few years ago, in 1973 at a lunchtime scripture union gathering at school. The journey was short lived as God just seemed to abandon me for the next six years, during which time I think I might have questioned his motives but with no notable response. Got married in 1979 and had to go looking for God to marry us eventually we found Him at the Plumstead Methodist church. After a quick reintroduction and enrollment into confirmation classes we were good to go. Marriage all went well, God gave his blessing, and my new life started.
We attended a few classes and went to church regularly, but soon the classes became boring and the church to old fashioned it seemed God was pushing me away once again. Life went on and all was well, we bought a small cottage in Plumstead, and we were blessed with two daughters. In or around 1982 God showed up again, must have done my penance by then, we were back in the fold. We started going to St James church in Kenilworth, I found it a bit overpowering, to big, to charismatic.(I went there recently and thought “how quiet and formal”) I started going to bible studies with a friend from work at Medway chapel and used to go to the evening service there, the bible studies were great and God seemed to be showing a lot of interest in our affairs. I can remember Rose (my wife) committed her life to the Lord at an alter call one Sunday, by the now bishop Frank Retief.

No comments:

Post a Comment