Monday, June 22, 2009

What the eyes can't see 5

That night I battled to get to sleep, my mind was set in overdrive and I found myself constantly trying to assimilate the information gathered that day. If this was not enough I could not wait for tomorrow's planned class outing to the planetarium, space and the final frontier, the most prolific area of interest in my life at that stage. Eventually I must have drifted of to sleep, and would love to know what I dreamt of that night but sadly I have no recollection.
I woke early that morning and was chomping at the bit to get going; today would unlock the secrets of time and hopefully explain the outer limits of the universe.
The distance between the heavenly bodies are measured in light years, this being the time it would take light to travel from one body to another in years. The nearest star (besides our son) is 4.24 light years from earth.This means that it takes 4.24 years for the light from this star to reach earth.There are many other stars and celestial bodies that are millions of light years away, this would mean that their light must have taken millions of years to reach us, or conversely that they formed millions of years ago. Or was there some other explanation?



No comments:

Post a Comment